REINVENTING THE NAVIGATION EXPERIENCE
The exclusive distributor for the Australian and New Zealand territories, Directed Australia, says Navdy leverages augmented reality (AR) technology to project information directly into the driver’s line of sight for an all-new navigation experience and a safer way to use your phone.
Navdy’s breakthrough Head-Up Display Technology (HUD) and user interface (UI) projects a transparent image onto the road ahead, displaying navigation maps and directions, incoming phone calls and messages, calendar updates and music selections.
With its downloadable Navdy App, you can connect your mobile phone to use Hand Gestures to accept calls with the wave of your hand, plus Navdy’s specially engineered Dial and advanced software lets you control your phone hands-free.
Further, being powered by Google Maps allows Navdy to offer superior search and navigation all with the benefit of locally customised maps for both Australia and New Zealand.
Directed Australia says all of this means that for the first time, drivers can ‘Look Forward while Staying Connected’, enjoying seamless integration of their navigation and phone into the driving experience, all without taking their eyes off the road.
Driver Distraction and the increasing Road Toll
In an era where cars are becoming increasingly safe with the introduction of advanced safety features to prevent accidents, our road toll only continues to climb. Unfortunately, driver behaviour isn’t changing or improving in line with car safety technology – distracted drivers are making minor mistakes with fatal consequences.
Mobile phone use is one of the single biggest distractions for today’s driver. The ability to connect a driver to their phone while keeping that driver connected to the road is one way of preventing unnecessary road accidents due to phone distraction, says Directed Australia.
“The way we interact with our cars hasn’t changed much in decades, and phones were never designed to be used while driving,” Directed Australia Chief Executive Officer, Steve Siolis, said.
“Navdy creates and defines an entirely new Augmented Driving category enabling drivers to interact with their phones and cars in a much more immersive, natural, and intuitive way.
“Distracted driving with drivers using their mobile phones to read text messages will be a thing of the past with Navdy. Navdy’s HUD displays and reads out your messages, leaving you to stay focused on the road ahead at all times.”
Driving with navigation systems that are not within the driver’s line of sight can also create distraction, with drivers taking their attention away from the road ahead to look at maps and directions.
“Line of sight navigation enables the driver to always stay focussed on the road ahead,” Steve said.
“Navdy will display route changes based on real time traffic information, and use your calendar information to program your next destination. This ensures an efficient and undistracted journey using customised content specifically for both the Australian and New Zealand markets.”
Navdy incorporates popular HUD technology which previously has been primarily offered as a pricey upgrade package in luxury cars. With a ground-breaking UI and specially developed software, it delivers a far richer driving experience at an accessible price, says Directed Australia.
Navdy’s Gesture Control understands the difference between steering wheel movements and interactive wipes. Using hand gestures, you can accept or ignore phone calls and accept or ignore suggested trips. Navdy responds to gestures in a split second and this function works both during the day and at night.
You need never take your hands off the wheel using Navdy’s proprietary steering wheel mounted interactive dial. This dial is your main tool for interacting with the device along with Navdy’s Hand Gesture Control System. Initiate voice control to find a destination, select songs, find contacts and more all without removing your hands from the steering wheel.
Making driving safer
Texting while driving causes you to look down for an average of five seconds: when traveling at 80kph, that’s enough time to cover an entire football field blindfolded. With Navdy’s HUD, all the information is projected onto the display as a transparent image right in your line of sight, so you’ll never drive blind again.
Connect to Your Car with Navdy
Navdy connects to your car in two ways; via your smartphone using the Navdy App and via your car’s OBD Port.
The Navdy app works with the Navdy display to ensure you never pick up your phone while driving.
While connected, you can stay focused on the road with music, directions, texts, emails, and notifications appearing right in your line of sight and you can even reply using Siri or Google Now.
The HUD easily connects via your car’s OBD-II port (found in most vehicles made after 1996). This connection enables information about your car – such as fuel level, Fuel Efficiency L/100km, RPM, and speed – to be viewed right in your line of sight with the road remaining in focus.
Other key features include:
• Look Forward Display: a rich, full colour, fully transparent display with unmatched clarity in any light that projects information into the distance so the road stays in focus. The most advanced display on the road, says Directed Australia.
• Intuitive Interface: Never again will you have to hunt through rows of buttons or look down to poke at a touch screen while driving. Navdy Hand Gestures are the most natural way to accept a call or message with the simple wave of your hand. The Navdy allows you to scroll, zoom and navigate menus fluidly and also serves as a convenient way to access Siri and Google Now.
• Never Miss a Turn: Navdy’s Projected Navigation system is powered by Google Maps. Directed Australia says only Navdy offers full dynamic maps as a transparent image without obstructing your view of the road. It’s as easy as following the car in front of you and uniquely immersive. With its own high precision GPS chip and local storage of maps, drivers don’t have to worry about losing navigation if they are out of network coverage.
• Stay Connected: Navdy lets you make and receive calls, listen to messages, control music, receive calendar reminders and stay connected to the apps on your phone. Navdy also connects to your car with Navdy Dash to show your speed, RPM and even automatically recommends nearby petrol stations when your fuel level is low.
• Portable and Storable: Navdy works in any car with its magnetic mounting system, making it effortless to take with you or store in the glove box.
• Easy Setup: Directed Australia says Navdy is easy for anyone to set up and get rolling without tools in around 15 minutes.
• Thoughtful Design: crafted from premium materials that blend in seamlessly with your car, Navdy can add a touch of sophistication.
Navdy is exclusively distributed by Directed Australia and New Zealand and has a suggested retail price of $899.00 AUD. It is supported by a one-year warranty and is also now available from JB HiFi stores across Australia.
Directed is a leading Automotive and Consumer Electronics solutions supplier, developer and trusted partner to many leading global brands.