Mental Health Matters
There is no doubting the continuously evolving impacts of COVID-19 on our society, industry and communities have been stressful. Weeks of uncertainty and abrupt changes have required significant and rapid adaptation.
AAAA understands that for those who run businesses which may be negatively affected by the Coronavirus, the stresses can be many and varied.
Some may be feeling worried about the health and economic impacts for themselves and their families. Many are also concerned about the wellbeing of their employees and are doing everything they can to support their workforce.
AAAA is aware these worries extend past simply wanting to keep workers ‘in a job’ as auto aftermarket employers want to ensure they are best supporting the mental health of their staff members during this difficult time.
Beyond Blue has provided the following tips for employers who are looking to support the mental health of their employees during the coronavirus pandemic:
• Maintain regular communication with your employees.
• Keep staff up to date about your business’ response to COVID-19.
• Make sure your staff are aware of the supports that are available to them (for example, if you have an Employee Assistance Program [EAP] in place).
• If you are concerned about an employee or colleague, make sure you check-in with them and encourage them to get the support they need. Having conversations like this can be difficult, so check out Beyond Blue’s advice on conversations around mental health at www.headsup.org.au
• Don’t forget to take time to look after yourself too.
You may also like to check out Beyond Blue’s online Tips for Managers resource which provides valuable information on maintaining a mentally healthy workplace; and their Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service through which trained mental health professionals are available to talk 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, by phone, webchat and email.
For more info, visit www.headsup.org.au
The AAAA has also collated a list of further resources which may also be helpful for employers, employees and their communities. To view the listing, please visit www.aaaa.com.au/news/supporting-employees-mental-health-matters/